VITAMIN D: THE SUNSHINE VITAMIN
WHAT IS VITAMIN D?
Vitamin works as a nutrient as well as a hormone (steroid). It occurs naturally in human skin as well as dairy products and vegetables.
SIGNIFICANCE OF VITAMIN D
Vitamin D, commonly known as &ldquo The Sunshine Vitamin&rdquo has a potent effect on increasing Calcium and phosphate absorption from intestines and reabsorption from kidney, thereby increasing bone deposition and mineralization. Its importance cannot be neglected because it :
- Protective role against flu, common cold, acute respiratory diseases
- Involved in Anti &ndash aging effect
- Regulates the Bone Health and Muscle strength
- Decreases the production of Cancerous (tumor) cells
- Improves the health of Cardiovascular system by lowering the risk of heart attack and stroke, etc.
- Helps in strengthening the Immunity of the body by acting against the inflammatory cells and promotes the production of microbe-fighting proteins
- Reduces risks of Diabetes Mellitus
- Protects against flu, common cold, acute respiratory diseases
- Involved in Cell differentiation
BIOCHEMICAL ROLE IN OUR BODY
The fat-soluble Vitamin D acts by converting into its active form called as &ldquo Calcitriol&rdquo which itself does not have direct bone mineralizing property works by increasing the intestinal absorption of Calcium and Phosphorus and retains its normal level.
SYMPTOMS OF VIT D DEFICIENCY:
- Mood swings
- Hair loss and skin infections
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle weakness
- Back pain
- Decreased wound healing
- Prolonged bleeding after a cut
VITAMIN D: THE SUNSHINE VITAMIN
RISK FACTORS OF VIT D INSUFFICIENCY AND DEFICIENCY
Risk factors determining the insufficiency and deficiency are listed below:
- Infants and children under 5 leading to rickets
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women, particularly teenagers and young women
- Lack of sunlight exposure
- People over 65
- Skin concealing garments or strict sunscreen use
- Multiple, short interval pregnancies leading to osteomalacia
- Elderly or housebound or confined indoors for long periods
- Vegan/vegetarian or high phytate consumption such as in Tortillas
- Malabsorption e.g., inflammatory bowel disease, coeliac disease, pancreatic insufficiency, etc.
- Use of anticonvulsants, rifampicin, cholestyramine, anti-viral, glucocorticoids
- Certain conditions e.g. liver or renal disease, cystic fibrosis
- Novel Covid-19 results in decreased levels of Vit D in the body
WHICH MEDICATION TO USE?
Vitamin D Deficiency (VDD) has emerged as a prevalent disease among all age groups. Intramuscular Injections (IM) shows a sustained trend and efficiency in raising the serum Calcium levels to normal rather than oral administration of Vit D3 in patients suffering from vitamin D deficiency. Its recent intervention in achieving enhanced immunity and body functions has changed the approach of medical practitioners towards the treatment of Novel Coronavirus.
SCHEDULING INFUSIONS IN SAFE HANDS!!
Quad Cities Ketamine Medical Clinic offers highly guaranteed and quality service to its customers with Vitamin D infusions at an affordable price. We offer Vit D IM infusions at $25 with one dose/sitting per week. The course lasts for 8 weeks. The infusions are then made once every month to maintain normal levels.
Book your appointment now!